Monday, September 5, 2011

Why I Should Never Have Ended With Edinburgh

I should have known that following up Shetland with any other Scottish town would be a mistake.

Two weeks in peaceful isolation can lead to a jarring smack back to reality when you rejoin the rest of the world.

In Shetland I was staying in a place where you literally couldn't even hear a car engine whirring except a couple of times a day when people would swing by the small town store. You couldn't even hear cars off in the distance.

In Edinburgh, you can't escape it.

Within an hour of arriving here I had a massive headache.

Was it the fact that the incompetent person at the Innskeeper Lodge I spoke to last week about changing my date of arrival completely forgot to tell management and they rebooked my room? Or that, as a result, I was placed in a wing of the hotel that is being renovated and paint fumes and hammer bangs are ubiquitous?

Or is it the constant traffic outside the window or fumes in the air?

It's just a different world. I went from being in a totally zen like state to being stressed out and needing to take ibuprofen to handle the throbbing ache of the city pounding against my brain.

I'm feeling better now though. The staff here was super apologetic and really have been very nice to me in the pub and restaurant since then.

I had a pint of beer, a relaxing afternoon in my hotel room, just grabbed some dinner and am enjoying my second glass of Scotch. Matt, I wish I could tell you what kind it is, but I literally could not understand the bartender when he told me. ha! It's good though!





I'm also currently enjoying my pudding. They call all dessert "pudding" here. My pudding of choice is a rhubarb crumble with an endless jar of warm custard. Idon't know how anyone could polish off the entire jar. There's probably a giant soup bowl's worth of custard in it. But oh man, is it delicious.

Also, I got hit on by a middle-aged Scottish man as I was entering the restaurant. I looked lost (a standard look for me) and the following convo happened:

Him: Been-ere before, then?

Me: Huh?

Him: You been 'ere before, then?

Me: Oh, yeah I was here earlier.

Him: Sorry, I just couldn't resist tha chance to talk to a beautiful lady.

Me: *confused look* *awkward laughter*

The waiter came along and seated me at that moment. Then, later when I went to go get my carvery and curry he came up to me again.

Him: I'm sorray if i was, ehh, forward with ya there.

Me: Don't worry about it *awkward smile*

Him: It's just you're GORGEOUS!!

Me: *even more awkward laughter*

Thank god the chef came out after that. I don't think I could have handled more uncomfortable laughter.

Was it flattering in its own special way? Sure.

Was it slightly creepy? Most definitely.

Did I still find it significantly less creepy because of the Scottish accent? Absolutely.

Ha.

(Side note: Scotch Whiskey and pudding should not be consumed together. Holy conflict of palate, batman.)

Anyway, back to my main point.

I am sure that Edinburgh is an amazing city. And I think part of the reason I'm upset that I am ending my trip with it is that I literally did not have enough time to do anything while I was here. Less than 24 hours in a city does not inspire much. Especially when I am tired and am battling a cold that makes me sneeze when I am in the sunlight (don't ask, I don't have an explanation for that one).

The one redeeming part of the day was that the train ride from Aberdeen to Edinburgh was absolutely gorgeous. It was another sunny day with these big billowly clouds.

Also, it should be noted that I never got lost today! I am getting more travel savvy. That and I paid for taxi rides instead of bussing it. :-)

It was really hard saying goodbye to my WWOOF hosts in Shetland. You really do walk away feeling like family. I've never had an experience like it, but it truly was a one of a kind, life altering event. They are just the most wonderful family and they treated me like a family memeber the instant I met them.

I will miss working in the garden on sunny days.

Working in the kitchen on rainy days.

Talking world politics and differences in culture over dinner.

Drinking tea with Jan in the afternoon and having wonderful conversations.

Hearing Pete say "Sweet Potato Pie" in his best southern accent.

Shetland milk. I'm not kidding, it is the most amazing thing I have ever tasted.

Waking up to a beautiful view out the window.

Being greeted by their dog, Odin, a giant Grate Dane, with a teddy bear he carries around with him in his mouth.

Watching Ertie (or Inspector Ertle), their bassit hound, give expressions of disdain at any number of things he found unfair.

Hearing british swear words.

Hearing the word "lovely" in British and Scottish accents.

Going for early morning or early evening walks.

Seeing the stars and the faint glimmer of the northern lights on clear nights.

Making my hosts laugh with crazy stories from my life.

Laughing at crazy stories from their lives.

The smell of the peat fire on a cold, rainy day.

Being asked: "Cuppa tea?"

Getting to know and live with people from another country and really understand their perspective on life.

I'm honestly going to miss everything.

But I have a feeling Shetland hasn't seen the last of me.

Well, I've had as much pudding as I could possibly handle and my whiskey glass has gone dry, so I am going to call it a night and catch some much-needed sleep.

I will be writing more stories about my stay in the coming weeks. So stay tuned! The fun doesn't end when I get home. :-)


Location:Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

5 comments:

  1. haha, this is my favorite blog post yet! very very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I agree, this is a great post, but honestly, Sara, I think all your posts have been fantastic! Even though I will soon be able to actually hear more stories, I look forward to seeing your future (catch-up) posts on this blog. You have an amazing knack of taking words and painting a picture with them...and pulling the reader right into that picture (and then, of course, your actual photos are just icing on the cake!)
    Safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha...you like this post the best because Scotch was involved, don't you, Matt?

    Ha thanks, Mom! I've enjoyed sharing my travels with everyone. I checked the stats on this blog and I have had 676 views on this blog in the 2.5 weeks I was gone! Insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed with both Matt and Linda! Thanks so much for letting us all travel vicariously with you! Can't wait to get the full rundown when you get back!

    ReplyDelete